Last updated: 23 May 2018
These Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) provide additional information or explanation about the Internet Society (ISOC)’s Privacy Statement and our use and sharing of Your Data. Should you have any questions about these FAQs or suggestions for additional questions we might add, please contact our Chief Administrative Officer through the contact information in the Privacy Statement. Capitalized terms in these FAQs have the same meanings as in the Privacy Statement. These FAQs are intended to assist in the understanding of our Privacy Statement. If there is an inconsistency or conflict between these FAQs and the Privacy Statement, you should rely on the language in the Privacy Statement.
Q: When do we rely on other permitted bases for the use or processing of Your Data?
ISOC ‘s goal and commitment is to inform you when we would like to use Your Data, the purposes for which we will use it and the legal basis for our use. For example, there may be a contractual relationship between you and ISOC (the contract does not have to be in writing) where ISOC needs to use Your Data to provide you with the services you are entitled to under the agreement. We will tell you when we are relying on our obligation to comply with our contractual obligations to you for the use of Your Data.
Q: The Privacy Statement says that ISOC allows the collection of some Technical Information of both Visitors and Members who use the Sites. What third parties does ISOC use for this data collection?
A: Our Sites use third parties for web analytics services so that we can understand how visitors interact with our sites – and how we can improve the experience for visitors. Our current services and/or vendors are:
- WordPress Stats – a secondary statistics service attached to our content management system, WordPress
Note that if a page contains embedded content from another site, such as YouTube or Twitter, there may be additional data collected by those services. We strive to embed that content using the most private mechanism provided by the service, but in some cases data is still collected by the service.
Q: The Privacy Statement says that ISOC uses third-party companies, consultants or contractors to provide limited services. What are those companies or services and why does ISOC use them?
A: We utilize these services for website hosting, public relations, mailing, or focused scope work in computer system development. Each of our contracts with these third parties restricts the use of personal information so it can only be used to provide the services under the contracts. In addition, these companies are required to treat all information and protect it by processes and procedures no less strict than those used by ISOC. Our current services and/or contractors are:
- Bytemark – Private cloud hosting provider for our Sites and Association Management System (AMS)
- HigherLogic- Base software as a service for our Connect platform
- High Road and Bluehornet – Bulk Mail services and integration to our Association Management System (AMS).
- AMSL – Service provider that manages an elist system for us based on Mailman
- Kallidus LMS – Base software as a service for our Inforum Learning Management System
- Five Nines Hosting – Service provider that hosts and maintains systems for ISOC.
- BigPulse Online Voting – Software as a service for our various election and voting management
- BriteVerify – Validates the ability to send email to email addresses in our database.
- com – File storage and sharing platform utilized by ISOC Staff and community.
Q: Will this FAQ be updated over time?
A: ISOC will continue to update this FAQ should more clarity be needed on aspects of the Privacy Statement. Should you have a question, please contact the Chief Administrative Officer at the contact information on the Privacy Statement.